Negative Health Effects Caused By Mould

Posted on: February 15th, 2020 by Jane F

You might not realise it but you are actually exposed to mould spores every single day, often by breathing or touching them. Since mould is naturally found both indoors and outdoors it is almost impossible to live in a completely mould-free environment. 

As mould grows, spores get released to the air making it easy for you to inhale them without you knowing it. People who end up inhaling large amounts of spores might get sick. Due to the different health concerns they pose, it is important that you prevent mould from growing inhabitable areas.

Mould and Its Effects on Your Health 

Most types of mould can have adverse effects on a person’s health. Mould tends to produce irritants, allergens, and sometimes even toxins that might cause adverse reactions in a person. A mould reaction will depend on the amount that the person has been exposed to, the person’s allergies or sensitivities, and the person’s age. The similar amount of mould might not cause any health issues in one individual but might result to negative effects in another. 

Mould expose can cause various symptoms. A sensitive person who has inhaled or touched mould or mould spores might suffer from allergic reactions including sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, nasal congestion, skin itching rash or dermatitis. 

Mould can also set off asthma attacks in a person with a mould allergy and can cause shortness of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing. A disease such pneumonia might also develop following mould exposure although this is not common. 

Different infectious diseases from mould can also be experienced by a person with a weakened immune system, like people who are immune-suppressed or immune-compromised from drug treatments. There are also some forms of mould known to cause some infections in people with compromised immune systems. These infections might affect the eyes, skin, lungs, and other organs. Such infections are regarded as opportunistic and don’t affect people with healthy bodies. 

Mould and mVOCs 

One more source of irritation from being exposed to mould comes from the substances called mVOCs or microbial volatile organic compounds. These are compounds formed through fungal metabolism that get released straight to the air. They often give off unpleasant or strong odours. Being exposed to mVOCs from mould can irritate the respiratory system and the eyes and is also associated to symptoms like nausea, nasal irritation, dizziness, headaches, and fatigue. Effects of these mVOCs are not yet totally understood with research still in its early stages. 

Mycotoxins and Mould 

Mycotoxins are metabolites that are potent substances that some types of mould produce. People could get exposed to these mycotoxins through skin contact, inhalation, or ingestion. Most moulds, including the species often found indoors, can produce mycotoxins. 

If You Need Help and Advice Regarding Mould Contact Us or Visit Our Mould Removal Page.

Just because toxin-producing mould has been identified to exist indoors doesn’t mean that the occupants of the building suffered from mycotoxin exposure or that these are present in the first place. This is because mould doesn’t produce these under all conditions. These substances can cause various adverse effects on human health but additional studies are required to identify the risk they pose in indoor environments. But, it is recommended to avoid exposure to mycotoxins and mould as a whole. 

Comments are closed.